[MPlayer-users] convert an mp3 into a mpg2 transport stream with null video

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 26 14:22:48 CET 2009

Nico Sabbi wrote:
>> Is it possible to create with mencoder or ffmpeg such a ts (ie just
>> a single frame plays for the whole video, while the input audio is
>> muxed in with no conversion) ?
>>
>> DaveT.
>
> mencoder -of lavf -o file.mpegts ....
Thanks for the tip Nico, though I'm not sure of the complete command;
tried a few variants of:

mencoder -of lavf -lavfopts format=mpegts -o outputfile.ts input_audio.mp3
MEncoder dev-SVN-r27514-4.3.2 (C) 2000-2008 MPlayer Team
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ (Family: 6, Model: 8, Stepping: 1)
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
success: format: 0  data: 0x0 - 0xbdf00f8
Audio only file format detected.
Video stream is mandatory!

Is there a way to have it use an internally generated video stream of
null or black ? I would prefer the newly muxed music file didn't grow
too big by adding actual video (from some other clip) into the stream.

I see someone else was chasing similar some years back:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mencoder.user/3364/focus=3399
but they ended up using vlc instead.

Can I set the input video type to raw and read from /bin/true, false or
/dev/random ?

DaveT.