[MPlayer-users] What happened to -af volnorm?

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Mon Jan 26 06:38:56 CET 2009

Hi all,

I've been using -af volnorm for years to keep the volume of movies and TV
shows fairly consistent, however when I upgraded mplayer a few months back
this broke, in that it now amplifies the volume too much and I get clipping
during very sudden loud sounds (particularly loud bass.)

The volnorm plugin used to just turn the volume down very quickly when this
happened which was great, as the loud clicks are very annoying.

I keep updating mplayer every few weeks but this problem still exists.  I've
tried adjusting the parameters so that it doesn't amplify the volume quite so
much, but I still get clipping - just the overall volume is quieter.

Has anyone else noticed this problem or is it just me?

Thanks,
Adam.