[MPlayer-users] download realaudio faster than real time?

Nathan Thern nthern at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 19:11:35 CET 2009

Hello-
I am using mplayer to download a large number of archived realaudio
radio streams. I then convert to mp3 so I can listen at my leisure on
my ancient PDA. So, my procedure is as follows:

> mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile file27.ra 'rtsp://host/file27.rm?optA=y'
> mplayer -ao pcm:file=file27.wav file27.ra
> lame file27.wav file27.mp3

The first command is the part that is really slow. I believe mplayer
is downloading and dumping the realaudio stream at real time speed.
The audio quality (and thus the DL bandwidth) is pretty low, so I'm
wondering if there is any way to make it download the stream faster?

regards,
NT