[MPlayer-users] a kernel compile

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Jan 9 16:59:50 CET 2009

PO <x75 <at> shaw.ca> writes:

> Any suggestions for a kernel build to help mplayer do it's thing?

I doubt that you need a kernel update.

> using slack 12.2 on an AMD Phenom 9950 with an ATI RV635 PCI-E vid card
> and 4 gigs ram.

Neither the higher amount of ram nor the graphic card should have a measurable
effect on mplayer playback (assuming both graphic cards can use xv or similar).

> So far, it's been a step down from my old 1.2GHz Semperon chip with 512
> Mb ram and an old 4x AGP vid card.

Please define "step down".
Does -vo xv work for you (I assume you used it in your previous configuration)?
Are you sure that one of the Phenom cores is faster than the Sempron? (I did not
check.) MPlayer often can not take advantage of multiple cores.

Carl Eugen