[MPlayer-users] RFE: GreedyH for MPlayer

Ilja Sekler ilja_sekler_ at gmx.de
Sat Jan 3 23:47:59 CET 2009

On 03.01.2009 16:11, Ilja Sekler wrote:

> On 03.01.2009 14:44, Nico Sabbi wrote:
>
>> Il giorno sab, 03/01/2009 alle 13.05 +0100, Ilja Sekler ha
>> scritto:
>>
>>> [...] xine-lib with its deinterlacing filters from dscaler,
>>> namely GreedyH, achieves astonishingly good results at a moderate
>>> CPU load deinterlacing DVB-T and DVD MPEG2 streams. IMVHO,
>>> MPlayer and especially Mencoder would benefit a lot from
>>> implementing this particular algorithm. [...]
>>
>> did you try yadif?
>
> Yes, as suggested by
> <http://guru.multimedia.cx/deinterlacing-filters/>. It is far form
> being able to compete with GreedyH especially deinterlacing Videos
> with a crawler / newsticker or it becomes too slow to run realtime on
> Athlon 64 X2 4200+, unfortunately.

Please disregard my last comment, I should have RTFM rather than
anything else. In particular, it was very counterproductive to provide a
wrong field_dominance value...

The quality of yadif deinterlacing appears to be excellent, only the
computational expenses seem to be significantly higher than with xine
and GreedyH: in both cases top reports about 40% CPU load, but at
1000MHz with xine and at 1800MHz with MPlayer. In other words,
implementing GreedyH for MPlayer might at least help the environment ;-)

Thank you for pointing me to yadif.

--
Regards

Ilja