[MPlayer-users] SqueezeCenter Installation [Solved]

C. Andrews Lavarre alavarre at ids.net
Sat Jan 3 18:27:25 CET 2009

Reimar hello, thanks for your info.

> Looking in /etc/services works without Google...

Thanks. How is one to know to look there?

> Of course there is the question why on earth someone would disallow
> outgoing connections (except for large "public" networks) no matter
> to which port.

Um, that is philosophical...

> You're "supposed"

A list or source for all these "supposed"s, or a pointer thereto, is
what is needed. Haven't found supposed_FAQ and Google returns nil in
this department...  :-)

"Supposed" is a near cousin to "assume", and we know that ASS-U-ME makes
an ass out of you and me ...

>> *** svn is a protocol that requires opening port 3690. As this is well
>> beyond the first 1024 common ports it requires some kind of awareness,
>> not some dude just wanting to play music...
>
> I've only ever seen that applied to incoming connections, if your
> firewall was acting like that by default I think that was a very stupid
> idea by whoever configured it so, but it will be useful to know that we
> have to expect another round of such complaints...

Hmmm. OpenSuse and www.simonzone.com and www.grc.com disagree. The first
two wake up locked down tight, the last applauds this. All three follow
the philosophy (opinion) of opening only the minimum essential ports,
period.

> Btw. the source snapshots are for me right on the middle of my screen
> when I open http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html up to now I
> considered it impossible to miss them...

ASSuming you know what subversion is, ASSuming you have the right ports
open...

Another point: snapshots. Downloading many other packages one becomes
conditioned to look for "stable", causing one to infer that "snapshots"
imply possibly *Unstable versions.

There *is a table there, but four of the seven entries read OUTDATED in
bold font, two others read "snapshot" and the last reads Fedora, while I
am using OpenSuse. All in all this table says to me "Here is my old and
dirty stuff, download it if you really want to, but look somewhere else
for a clean and stable version."

-----------------------
Two thing that have kept me well employed for a long time, particularly
in the test and evaluation field are things like "supposed" and "assume"
- if there is a way for a thing to not work you can rest assured that I
will be the person who discovers it... :-(not on purpose, just naturally...

All in all, I think a paragraph for newbies on the download page, such
as Oliver and I have composed, would  be a useful and perhaps welcome
addition.

Happy New Year!

Cheers, Andy