[MPlayer-users] Cache usage in mplayer

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Wed Dec 30 10:02:44 CET 2009

Hi!

Mass storage devices are used to read their data. I don't think you will
save a lot of power when reading in bigger chunks.

Power is needed to spin the platters, and they should be kept spinning.
For optical sotrage devices it would be a good idea to have the disc
spinning slowly, but not to stop it while linearily playing video.

Power is needed to move the head, but when linearily playing interleaved
video files, there shouldn't be the need for frequently moving the head.

Power is needed for the drive electronics, but I don't think it makes much
difference if you're reading the same number of bytes in big or small
chunks.

Anyway, when playing streamable video formats you can make someone else do
the caching, like

dd if=my_video.mpeg ibs=10M obs=10k | mplayer - -cache 10000

I've tried this on a DVB-rip via network, and it plays nice and smooth
while reading a chunk twice a minute.

Greets,
Kiste