[MPlayer-users] VDPAU performance with an Asus AT3N7A-I

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Wed Dec 23 00:46:46 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 00:41 +0100, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:59, Richard Hartmann
> <richih.mailinglist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> One simple way to check which one is being
> >> used is to suspend MPlayer with ctrl-Z (so it can't redraw its window)
> >> and then move another window over MPlayer's output window. If the window
> >> contents stay intact then it's the overlay queue; if they're lost when
> >> hidden from view then it's the blit version.
> >
> > OK, I will do that once I am at home!
>
> When I drag xterm over the suspended mplayer window, artifacts from the
> xterm remain within the window in which mplayer puts the video during
> playback.
> Dragging the mplayer window over the xterm window does not have any
> effect other than (partially) hiding the xterm window.
>
> Which X setting controls which variant is being used?

There's no X setting to directly control it. The NVIDIA driver uses the
overlay queue if possible. IIRC the driver documentation has more
detailed information about when it can be used. The most likely reason
it's not available is that you have the composite extension enabled in
the X server (another easy to trigger case is if you already have
another window using the overlay). Try adding the following to your
xorg.conf:

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection