[MPlayer-users] R: unreadable ass subtitle file

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Fri Dec 18 00:36:14 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 11:26 +0100, Roberto Malinverni wrote:
> I tried to play with the latest mplayer (both svn and git):
>
> - the mkv as it is, with and without using the embedded fonts;
> - a remuxed mkv without embedded fonts;
> - the original mkv with the extracted ass file as an external subtitle.
>
> None of these worked.
> An older mplayer version (svn rev. 29484) played the original file as it is
> perfectly.
> So, something changed between svn 29484 and the current version: I can't
> determine what exactly happened.
> I'll upload the sample once I get home tonight. The file will be called
> "not-working-ass.tar.bz2".

Works fine for me, in both current git and svn versions (though svn
scales the subtitles wrong depending on VO, but that's expected). I see
only valid ASCII text in the sample part. Maybe something that changed
on your system between compiling the older svn version and now triggered
the problem, rather than an MPlayer change? Have you tried many other
files with a newly compiled MPlayer and have they all worked fine?