[MPlayer-users] mplayer-va-api with ati/xvba: still no-go?

Sat Dec 12 13:35:33 CET 2009

Hi Carl Eugen Hoyos!

 On 2009.12.12 at 11:19:19 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote next:

> http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14340
> http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19983
> Note especially the comment from an AMD employee who explains that XvBA was
> never released, that no SDK is available (for you and me) and that XvBA's goal
> is not adoption by open source players (pages 23 and 24).
>
> If somebody wants to help, reverse-engineer the API out of xvba-video, but note
> that it obviously changes with each (or at least some) driver release.

Well I got their point but I still don't understand why va-api enabled
mplayer can't be used with xvba-video bridge, which seems to be
"official" way of supporting hw-accelerated mplayer for ati?

README file in xvba-video package certainly says that all you need is
fglrx >= 8.66 and mplayer-vaapi >= 20090320 and libva >= 0.30.4-sds5
to play h264 and vc1 with hardware acceleration.

I don't think original poster is concerned about xvba or amount of
bridges between fglrx and mplayer, if HW acceleration is possible this
way, why not?

(I wanted to try it myself but all I have here is fedora 8 system, I
kinda doubt that all that stuff like mplayer-vaapi, libva and everything
else needed will work here.. if anyone can confirm that it's worth
trying I can do it)

--

Vladimir