[MPlayer-users] A-V sync with mencoder/mplayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Dec 12 10:53:28 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 06:00:31PM -0800, Ken Bass wrote:
> Should I ignore the "1 duplicate frame(s) !", and "Skipped 1 frame"
> messages? (apparently they didn't have any noticeable effect on the video).

It would be better if they can be avoided, but doing so at least involves a lot
of trying. If your video quality is bad anyway it probably won't matter much.

> Would the "-noskip", or "-noencodedup", or "-vf harddup" make any difference
> (good or bad)?

-noskip will probably improve things if the input frame rate is consistently
lower than what is specified, and can improve strongly varying desync at the
beginning.
Lower -mc values can smooth out varying A-V sync, whereas higher values can help
against consistent desync.
harddup I think should never break anything, though it can increase file size
for no benefit - I do not have much experience with it though.

> For the -tv options, I used "immediatemode=0". Is that a problem? or is it
> necessary?

It is necessary if you want to capture via your TV card instead of via the sound
card.

> I know I can't get a digital re-mastered quality video, but are there any
> mencoder options (or any other app) to clean up some of the VHS noise?

-vf hqdn3d and probably some others.