[MPlayer-users] A-V sync with mencoder/mplayer

Miroslav Rovis m.rovis at inet.hr
Fri Dec 11 06:12:33 CET 2009

> > In short, I am trying to capture video from vhs, via a tv capture card.

> But
> > the A-V is out of sync - audio lags video. Actually, it becomes
> > progresssively worse as the recording goes on.
>
>   I've tried the same thing - recording from VHS. The problem is that
> with a bad vhs tape (or a slow motor) you get rather a variable frame
> rate video than an exact 25 (or 30) fps one.
>
>  I've solved this by running VLC as a capture and encoding to mpeg2 ts
> and using mplayer -dumpstream to record the stream. Both on different
> computers, to avoid problems with disk buffers, etc..
>
>  With mplayer I can not get recorded analog television either, and the
> signal was better than on vhs.
>
>  Daniel
>
> But no luck.
> >
> > I have been fighting with this for a long time. So any help/pointers will
> be
> > greatly appreciated.

> Ken Bass wrote:
> > Hi all, newbie here - so please bear with me :-)
> >
> > In short, I am trying to capture video from vhs, via a tv capture card. But
> > the A-V is out of sync - audio lags video. Actually, it becomes
> > progresssively worse as the recording goes on.

I had started, a month ago, a thread "composite input a/v sync issue".
I managed to superbly digitize quite a few VHS tapes back then. It might suit your needs as well.
Take a look:
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mencoder-users/2009-November/010945.html
And,pls. let me know if the hack that it seems to me that you are using to digitize
the tapes (vlc capture, and then mencoder whatever...)...
Pls. let me know if vlc+mencoder is a better solution, better quality, which I doubt,
but I can't tell of course...
Namely, I am not and have not been converting tapes to files since back then, so I cannot test,
but I am curious to know...
Good luck!
Miro
www.exDeo.com