[MPlayer-users] A-V sync with mencoder/mplayer

"Ing. Daniel Rozsnyó" daniel at rozsnyo.com
Thu Dec 10 21:05:14 CET 2009

Hi Ken,

  If it helps, here is my VHS->NETWORK script. You can see that it makes
an 10mbit MPEG2 + 320kbit mp3 tracks (which are intended as a temporary
high quality dump), and then offers it as http streaming.

--------------
#!/bin/sh

vlc v4l2:///dev/video0:width=720:height=576:standard=PAL:input=1:fps=25 \
    -v \
    --intf dummy \
    --sout
'#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=10000,acodec=mp3,ab=320}:std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=0.0.0.0:8888}'

--------------

The recording is just a plain:

  mplayer -cache 32 -dumpstream -dumpfile 'vhs.ts' 'http://videopc:8888'

--------------

  The tapes I captured have a/v sync, and can be played back, but I had
problem re-encoding them to more suitable and compact form (h264) -
again the problem with dropped frames. Please let me know what command
you use to recode the TS to something different and if you get the sync
correctly.

  When that is solved, you can try to apply filters. Basically you can
use downsampling to 50% in horizontal direction - see the specification
for SVCD - it has non-square pixels and the resolution is "narrow". With
correct aspect ratio setting you can get back you source image, but
using only 50% of storage. Also try to use some filters to reduce
grain/noise - it helps to compress better.

Daniel