[MPlayer-users] 8 channel audio

Robert Henney robh at rut.org
Thu Dec 3 07:54:56 CET 2009

when playing 8 channel audio files on hardware that's only capable of
a less number of channels, the current mplayer from cvs exits with an
ALSA error.  earlier builds from near the beginning of last month
would at least play the first 2 channels without immediately giving
up, so this might be considered a regression of sorts.  I'm not sure
what might be considered the proper behaivor for mplayer to take in
these situations, but perhaps it should truncate the audio to
whatever the number of playback channels is, along with a warning.
just giving up with an error is the part I don't like.

yes, using -af channels=n gets around this.