[MPlayer-users] SDL in GUI

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Aug 28 11:45:05 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:28:21AM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 11:16:01AM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > First, I think it silly to make anything Gui-related a stopper, unless
> > you intend to take over maintenance for it (we won't).
>
> The knowledge of the state of the GUI with SDL was teh stopper, not the
> code itself :). Is the GUI now unmaintained?

In my opinion the GUI was broken and unmaintained already a few months
after it was created, but at least since 3 - 4 years.
The difference is that we are stating it more clearly, there are too
many people who use it just because they don't know how horrible it is
compared to the alternatives (though I know there are a rare few people
who really like it - there certainly is nothing at all to like about the
code though).
So while I am not absolutely unwilling to look into bugs occasionally,
the goal is to drive users away from it...

> > Secondly, SDL "works" in the Gui in principle I think, you have to enter
> > it manually though. The problem is that (at least as it is done in
> > MPlayer) SDL insists on creating its own video window, and thus can not
> > properly integrate with a Gui. SMPlayer e.g. has a special mode for
> > those vos.
>
> Thanks, I did note smplayer managed it somehow.

Well, for what I know SMPlayer does not really manage much better.
gmplayer allows you to use it if you change it in the config file or I
think use -vo sdl on the command line, it just isn't embedded which
makes the whole thing a bit ugly/silly and not officially supported.