[MPlayer-users] Optimize video output from tv card

Michael auslands-kv at gmx.de
Fri Aug 28 11:14:55 CEST 2009

Krzysztof Duchnowski wrote:

> Michael pisze:
>
>> Anywhere where I can find a simple tutorial on how to setup a slim X
>> server without gnome/gdm or KDE/kdm? In the end I just need the major
>> part of the screen been used up my mplayer (640x420) and the rest
>> (640x60) as information display via python SDL.
>
> You must decide first what do you want:
> 1. complete *Desktop Enviroment* with "desktop integration" or
> 2. simplistic window manager and nothing more
>
> For light weight and heavy configurable DE look for LXDE or XFCE

Hi Krzysztof

I need as little "Environment" or "Integration" as possible. I don't want
any frames,  borders, etc. Just need to run mplayer using nearly the full
screen, and displaying some text below it (using python SDL at the moment).
Nothing more...

So Do I need LXDE/XFCE in order to have mplayer running on the X server? (I
have no experience here. That`s why I used the framebuffer device so far,
which works o.k. except the performance with the tv card is not very
good...)

Thanks

Michael