[MPlayer-users] can mplayer/mencoder fix a broken file?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 19:01:57 CEST 2009

Dear fellow mplayer users,

A friend recovered a file from a dying windows machine(hard drive failure), and can not view it with any video player out there, Windows Media, DivX, vlc and Quicktime.  I told him that mplayer can view it, but I lied to him, here is the proof.

[olivares at localhost 28DC-C195]$ mplayer file000401.avi
MPlayer SVN-r29109-4.4.0 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team

Playing file000401.avi.
libavformat file format detected.
LAVF: no audio or video headers found - broken file?

Exiting... (End of file)

Now that mplayer can see the file and has told us that the file is broken, is there any magical way to fix it so that the file can be seen?

Thanks in Advance,

Antonio