[MPlayer-users] tips and tricks to play dvds

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 19:26:16 CEST 2009

--- On Fri, 4/17/09, Oliver Seitz <info at vtnd.de> wrote:

> From: Oliver Seitz <info at vtnd.de>
> Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] tips and tricks to play dvds
> To: olivares14031 at yahoo.com, "MPlayer usage questions, feature requests, bug reports" <mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>
> Date: Friday, April 17, 2009, 9:46 PM
> >
> > Dear fellow mplayer users,
> >
> > I have mplayer installed on several computers.  There
> are some movies
> > which one has to try out and exhaust the numbers
> > $ mplayer dvd://x
> > where x is a number starting from 1 and forward.  The
> main movie might be
> > like at 10 and I have to scan all the way to 10 find
> the main movie.  Is
> > there a magical number that one can use so that
> mplayer finds the main
> > movie and start playing it, without going through the
> previews one by one?
> >
> > Does there exist such an option?
> > I know that one can use mplayer dvdnav:// and if the
> movie has a menu and
> > one has compiled a newer version of mplayer via svn,
> we can see the menus,
> > but clicking on it does no good.  This only works
> while using
> > gnome-mplayer :), but when it is not available(did not
> install it on that
> > particular machine), I fall back to command line
> mplayer and finding the
> > main movie takes a while.  Is there a quick hack or do
> I have to try out
> > one by one?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Antonio
>
> Some questions already have answers, and google knows some
> of them :-)
>
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2009-March/076152.html
>
> Greets,
> Kiste

Thanks Kiste and Jimmy for answering.  The following

mplayer dvd://$(mplayer dvd:// -identify -frames 0 |grep ID_DVD_TITLE |grep LENGTH |sort -n -t = -k 2 |tail -1 |cut -f 4 -d _)

obtained from above page did the trick.  Now I'll need to create a script to call mplayer and avoid the menus and previews which take long and instead watch the movie.

Regards,

Antonio