[MPlayer-users] loosing part of the picture with resizing?

Krzysztof Duchnowski amidk75 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 19:44:53 CEST 2009

Bernd Butscheidt pisze:

> But I am still confused:

> - Why do I need the video filter expand on top? Leaving it out leads to
> the resolution 720*406 (using 720:-2) or 720*400 (using 720:-10).
> Using the expand filter on top leads to a resolution of 736*416.

Some encoders like it to be multiple of 16 or 8 - read about desired
encoder and it's limitations ( AVC *likes* dimension to be a multiple of
16 where MPEG2 *needs* it to be multiple of 16 - macroblock 16x16 )

> - I would have expected to use "-vf scale=720:-3" or "-vf scale=720:-11"
> to use the original aspect ratio instead of the "prescaled" (I tried it,
> the resolution doesen't change again and stays at 720*576 although
> mencoder recognizes it as 16:9). Where is the aspect ratio prescaled?

Maybe "prescaled" means scale to square pixels where "original"is to
preserve anamorphic pixels...
In the example maybe it will be a better option to expand without given
aspect:

"-vf scale=720:-2,expand=::::::16"

--
Krzysztof 'DK75' Duchnowski