[MPlayer-users] too SLOW to play HD file

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Sun Apr 5 14:40:34 CEST 2009

>>  If you have to use mjpeg for
>> playback, go buying several of the fastest harddisks (like 10000rpm
>> types) and connect them in RAID0 or RAID5 array. That might give
>> bandwith that can cope with mjpeg.
>
> Wouldn't storing the file on a RAM disk potentially also work, if disk
> throughput is the problem?

It most surely would. If there's enough RAM for it. I've got a mjpeg
encoded 720p-video without sound here. It plays less than five minutes and
the file is 885MByte. When you add sound, even 16GByte of RAM (which is in
my opinion the maximum reasonably available today) can't hold 90 minutes
of video. So at least for full-feature films that's not an option.

Greets,
Kiste