[MPlayer-users] wav file size limit

Matyas Sustik mplayer.list at sustik.com
Wed Apr 1 03:42:57 CEST 2009

I am extracting the audio (for ogg encoding) from an avi file.  The relevant
commands are:

> mkfifo audio.wav

> nice -n 10 oggenc -q 6 audio.wav -o audio.ogg &

> nice -n 10 mplayer test.avi -vc null -vo null -nocache -ao
pcm:fast:file=audio.wav >/dev/null 2>&1

However, when the wav file (not explicitly created) gets larger than 2GB
I get a truncation.  Indeed if I do just:

nice -n 10 mplayer test.avi -vc null -vo null -nocache -ao
pcm:fast:file=audio.wav

I see that the wav file is over 2GB, and mplayer says:
File larger than allowed for WAV files, may play truncated!

So I thought can switch to raw files by using nowaveheader.  However,
that appears to run slow and the result is mangled audio (it sounds slowed down).

I hoped that someone here can suggest a solution to either overcome the 2GB
limit or with the right parms when generating raw files.

Thanks,
Matyas
-
Every hardware eventually breaks.  Every software eventually works.