[MPlayer-users] MPLAYER GOING DOWNHILL ... i.e. Windows Vista playback problems

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Sep 28 10:30:02 CEST 2008

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 01:18:57 -0500
"John Smith" <antlamp at inorbit.com> wrote:

>   >There is no break in the development cycle. There cannot be any.
>   >Because there was never a development cycle. MPlayer is
>   >devloped ad hoc and when people feel like it. Because there isnt
>   >a release for a year doesn't mean the project is dead at all.
>
>   It just makes it a very cheap project if there is no direction or
>   impetus to make it better, or even knowledge if people are
>   working on it.... I mean, you make it sound like it is simply
>   perfect and there are no issues. Playing HD & BlueRay is
>   so basic. 7.1, 8.1 audio is icing on the cake. I still contend
>   the powers that may be (the ones who keep mplayerhq.com)
>   can do a better job helping the community. Maybe I am totally
>   wrong and these things are being worked on. But it sounds
>   like you don't know and are making deeply hypothetical
>   judgments.... and non-germane criticisms. Thank you

I never said that the development stopped, it's just that
there aren't any releases. And please do not apply comercial
software practices to OSS projects. They dont work and cloud
your mind so you cannot see what's really going on.

Before judging the development and the developers of MPlayer
have a look on what they are doing, and you'll see that
a lot of work is being done. None of these improvements
and new features are introduced with a flashy road show
or presentations at big conferences with jumping monkeys,
but they are still done, lots of them.

			Attila Kinali

PS: Your mail client breaks threading, you should change it
to something that sets the In-Reply-To field correctly.

--
The true CS students do not need to know how to program.
They learn how to abstract the process of programming to