[MPlayer-users] Translating movie files to a portable movie device (ffamv I think)]

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Sep 18 15:40:52 CEST 2008

On 17 Sep 2008, at 23:21, David Creelman wrote:
> I recently bought a quite cheap handheld movie player and I've
> copied the
> move file from the device to Linux and I can quite happily play the
> file via
> mplayer, giving the following
>
>> mplayer movie1.amv
> MPlayer dev-SVN-r27474-4.3.1 (C) 2000-2008 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.40GHz (Family: 15,
> Model: 2, Steppin
> g: 7)
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
> This is just one of the demo movies that comes with the device. I'd
> like it
> if I could translate some stuff I have to the format the device
> uses, but I'm
> unsure how to specify the details correctly on the command line.
>
> Can someone point out where I could look to find out how to get this
> to work?
>
> I'm using mplayer/encoder built from svn, running on Debian.

Hi there,

I haven't read your output because there's too much of it.

You should use this command:
    mplayer -really-quiet -ao null -vo null -frames 0 -identify
movie1.amv

I don't think there's an automated way to tell mplayer to use the same
format as an existing file - you just have to manually work out the
parameters.

Stroller.