[MPlayer-users] Annoying freezes

Fri Sep 12 12:52:06 CEST 2008

Hi Reimar Döffinger!

 On 2008.09.12 at 09:11:54 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote next:

> > It looks like thats the problem , apparently removing
> > heartbeat−cmd="gnome−screensaver−command −p" really fixed it ... dont know why
>
> Try "gnome−screensaver−command −p &" instead.

I don't think it's a problem. gnome-screensaver-commands should return
instantly - my guess it just forks as soon as possible, or simply sends
signal via dbus and exits without waiting for result. Typical
/usr/bin/time output is
0.00user 0.00system 0:00.00elapsed 0%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

(I was really amazed that some kind of gnome-* app can finish its work
that fast! Well gnome-screensaver-command isn't linked to gnome libs,
not even to Xlib - only to dbus)

The real problem is that right AFTER gnome-screensaver-command exits
there's 100% cpu usage. About 25% by dbus-daemon, 25% by
gnome-screensaver and 50% by X. It always happens, no matter how
powerful system is. On something slow (I tried on P4-based Celeron 2800)
it lasts for a while, on Core 2 Duo 3Ghz system it doesn't last long,
but usage is still grows to 100% and the pike can be seen in any kind of
system monitor. This obviously hurts mplayer, and renicing
gnome-screen-saver doesn't help, of course.

--

Vladimir