[MPlayer-users] field sequential to over/under stereo playback

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 21:52:45 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Reimar Döffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 02:10:38PM -0400, Francois Dion wrote:
>> Anyway, as far as tinterlace/tfields and il, that's all for the
>> interlacing which I'm only partially succesfull in that I can have one
>> instance of mplayer displaying odd fields, and another the even fields
>
> No, you can make one MPlayer output both and combine them with -vf tile.

Ok, that's great. I had never heard of the tile feature of mplayer
before. Didn't think of that.

So it appears that:
mplayer dvd:// -vf tfields=1,tile=1:2:2:0:0,framestep=2

Works. tfields=1 (or yadif=1 i'm assuming) split fields into frames,
interpolating doubling the output framerate. I then tile 1 horizontal,
2 vertical, and one would think for every 1 frame, render a new one,
but then I get top tile with image and bottom tile black, so I use
render every 2 frame. Finally, I get extreme flicker, apparently 1
frame with the proper tiles, 1 frame black. So I framestep=2 and it
works. Plus it goes back to proper frame rate. It seems tfields
doesn't seem to work like I tought it would?

But, anyway, at least I can finish my install and I'll be testing this soon.

So to recap at a minimum:

field sequential to over/under:
mplayer dvd:// -vf tfields=1,tile=1:2:2:0:0,framestep=2

and field sequential to left/right:
mplayer dvd:// -vf tfields=1,tile=2:1:2:0:0,framestep=2

Anaglyphs and half color anaglyphs:
no idea. Probably requires a filter to be written.

Simple enough, but like I said, it can be improved. That black frame
issue would need to be addressed. Probably my misunderstanding of how
tfields works.

Francois