[MPlayer-users] Quicktime playback on MPlayer/Linux -- Somevideos play in ultra-slow-motion?

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 08:24:16 CEST 2008

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 11:24:54 -0700
"Terry Linford" <trrlnfrd323 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The bottom line is, we install a mainstream distro, paying for disks
> to support the Linux community, and follow recommendations to install
> "X".
>
> When problems arrive, we're thrust into a melee of project politics,
> difficult personalities, etc, with each entity pointing the finger
> elsewhere.  I'm curious -- how far should an "average user" be
> expected to go to get a product that works?

You paid for your distro, you should be complaining to them when
something you need isn't included or isn't fully functional.

The MPlayer project got none of your money, and this is not a mailing
list for the completely uninformed masses.

You will not find anyone here trying to convince you that you, and the
rest of the world, should all use Linux (in fact MPlayer runs on Windows
and Mac OS X, among others).

But I do suggest you consider what kind of support you'd get from Apple
had you complained to them of a similar problem.  Having done so with
numerous companies over the years, I can say from experience you would
most likely have been completely ignored, and your problem left
unresolved.  If you got any response at all, it would be a simple
form-letter dismissing the problem out of hand, by saying your exact
configuration isn't supported (for whatever trivial reason they can
come up with), or perhaps a blanket suggestion that you reinstall the
entire system, or take it to a service facility and pay them to
investigate the problem (they will tell you they can't do anything about
it, soon after taking your cash).  Either way, you would have no
options, and would be indefinitely stuck with the issue, no matter how
"advanced" you may or may not be.