[MPlayer-users] Mplayer frontend suggestion?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 18:59:14 CET 2008

2008/10/27 Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin at vm10124.spb.edu>:
> Hi Dotan Cohen!
>
>  On 2008.10.27 at 17:56:10 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote next:
>
>> (similar to that available in MS Windows Media Player for those
>> familiar with it). The user makes presentations with a mouse, and
>> keyboard input is not an option without reevaluating her entire
>> workflow. What frontends can the mplayer community recommend? Thanks.
>
> I have no idea about windows media player, but if you need control
> similar to stock xine ui (mouse wheel changes playback speed), you can
> get this with stock mplayer. Just use something like
>
> MOUSE_BTN0 speed_mult 0.9091
> MOUSE_BTN1 \ speed_set 1.0
> MOUSE_BTN2 speed_mult 1.1
>
> in input.conf. I don't think you can bind it to mousewheel, though,
> since after a mousewheel input bug was introduced a few years ago it's
> unusable (makes mplayer's input stuck), but this way you can left/right
> click to slow down and speed up playback, and middle click returns speed
> to 100%. The difference with xine is that you can't set negative speed;
> in xine, when decreasing playback speed, eventually you can make video
> go backwards (with configurable speed); I don't think it's possible with
> mplayer. If you need that, you might want to use some player based on
> xine-lib (xine, totem and so on).
>
> As for mplayer's gui interface, smplayer seems to be most popular right
> now. It seems to be quite advanced, but I never tried it and can't say
> if it supports classic input.conf assignments.

Thank you Vladimir. While this solves the problem of controlling the
playback speed via the mouse, she insists on seeing a slider.
Unbelievable how people who are used to one way of doing things cannot
fathom another way of dong things. I hope that she never has to drive
a car where wiper control is on the dashboard instead of on a stalk.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il