[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Wed Oct 15 12:01:46 CEST 2008

Hi Attila Kinali!

 On 2008.10.15 at 08:55:13 +0200, Attila Kinali wrote next:

> > Well certainly mplayer has a lot of problems with some mpeg ts streams,
> > but mind you, a lot of players (at least under windows) have even more
> > problems with them.. With mplayer, the worst you have to do is some
> > fiddling with -mc and -fps options, in some other players it's
> > unsolvable.
>
> Have you send a bugreport?
> Nico is usualy quite fast in fixing such issues.

I don't want to hurt your feelings, but a/v sync problems is one big
areas where are I stopped submitting bugs a long time ago, since usually
no solution is offered (even for the simplest question like "if I found
correct -mc/-fps/etc options that keep sync, how do I remux file so that
resulting one can be played in sync without using any special options").
I have tons video files with all kinds of sync glitches, including some
very strange ones (like mkv that loses sync depending on -correct-pts and
-mc options, avi with sync problems solvable only with -demuxer lavf,
desync in ogm files and so on). And "regular" sync glitches in avi and mpeg
ts are very common, I don't even care when/if they'll ever get fixed,
all I want is a way to convert such files so they won't be needing any
options. I struggled with mencoder for some time, but (almost) never was
able to create video which doesn't exhibit same problems.

Unfortunately, mplayer and ffmpeg have a lot of problem areas where bug
submitting isn't worth it. Well, IMHO mplayer has major problems with bug
processing anyway - most bugs don't get solved unless some developer is
interested into fixing it right after bug report appears, which works
only for some of them; ffmpeg is better in this aspect. Users simply
get used to this and stop submitting bugs and feature requests; for
example, as much as I want to get proper multicore processing for h264
decoding and video filters in mplayer, I won't bug developers about
this, since I understand that simple words without any code won't help
this issue at all. Same applies to other areas (e.g. high resolution
audio, which hardly even works in mplayer and some other things).

--

Vladimir