[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Oct 15 09:01:42 CEST 2008

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:45:02 +0200
Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org> wrote:

> Le tridi 23 vendémiaire, an CCXVII, Andrew Savchenko a écrit :
> >		       Well, perhaps -fontconfig should be enabled
> > by default if supported.
>
> Some time ago, I would have totally agreed with you, but no longer: there is
> something even better than -fontconfig: -ass.

-ass uses fontconfig.

> The result is that if I enable -ass, the subtitles are rendered by libass,
> and look much nicer than the default ones.

Uhmm.. libass doesn't render any fonts. It's still freetype that does
that. What you are merely doing is to select a different font, nothing else.

> Furthermore, as I have a
> reasonably fast computer, I add "-vf-add dsize=1920:1200:0,scale=0:0" to get
> software scaling and have the subtitles rendered at the screen resolution.

Uhg.. You must have smoked something heavy to recomend
others to enable software scaling, because no computer is fast
enough for software scaling, unless you are watching a thumb nail.

			Attila Kinali

--
If you want to walk fast, walk alone.
If you want to walk far, walk together.