[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Andrew Savchenko Bircoph at list.ru
Tue Oct 14 19:38:18 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Tuesday 14 October 2008 20:37, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hi Andrew Savchenko!
>
>  On 2008.10.14 at 19:56:05 +0400, Andrew Savchenko wrote next:
> > I'm aware of -ass support, but there is some problems with
> > them: 1) This is CPU-hungry rendering. I can feel this easly
> > when watching DVD's (without framedrops!) on my ancient laptop
> > with Pentium II-366 MHz on board.
>
> Not sure about that, but I wasn't able to watch some parts of
> one dvd on 2ghz system without framedrops, because screen was
> filled with subtiles and -spuaa 20 ate insane amount of cpu, not
> default osd nor ass rendering does anything similar to that,
> even in full hd resolution (osd rendering used like 10% of cpu,
> antialiased vobsubs used 30-40%). Only switching spuaa to
> different mode helped.

Agreed, and to omit confusion: on my old laptop I use -spuaa 3
(default and still nice value), on my much more powerfull desktop
(AthlonXP 3200) I use spuaa 4, and I do not care much about its
CPU usage, 'cause most of my CPU is eaten by video postprocessing,
precisely by
-vf pp ha:a/va:a,unsharp=l7x7:0.8:c7x7:0.8,pp=dr:a,screenshot
where unsharp is definitely most resource-expensive thing (-vo gl
is used and result is too blurry on my taste with my nvidia card).
Well, on HDTV I turn sharping off, of couse.