[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Tue Oct 14 10:45:02 CEST 2008

Le tridi 23 vendémiaire, an CCXVII, Andrew Savchenko a écrit :
>		       Well, perhaps -fontconfig should be enabled
> by default if supported.

Some time ago, I would have totally agreed with you, but no longer: there is
something even better than -fontconfig: -ass.

In my config file, I have:

ass-styles=/home/cigaes/.mplayer/styles.ass

And ~/.mplayer/styles.ass looks like this:

[Script Info]
ScriptType: v4.00+
Collisions: Normal
PlayResX: 640
PlayResY: 0
PlayDepth: 0
Timer: 100.0000
WrapStyle: 2
Video Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Video Zoom: 6
Video Position: 0

[V4+ Styles]
Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding
Style: Default,DejaVu Sans,20,&H00FFFFFF,&H00FFFFFF,&H00000000,&H80000000,0,0,0,0,100,100,0,0,1,1,2,2,10,10,10,1

The result is that if I enable -ass, the subtitles are rendered by libass,
and look much nicer than the default ones. Furthermore, as I have a
reasonably fast computer, I add "-vf-add dsize=1920:1200:0,scale=0:0" to get
software scaling and have the subtitles rendered at the screen resolution.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George

(By the way, when I wrote that VLC was a fine windows program, the key word
was windows, as in "it is not a problem if your media player crashes
sometimes, if it crashes less often than your OS".)