[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Oct 12 16:04:39 CEST 2008

On 12 Oct 2008, at 13:20, Manuel Reimer wrote:

> Nico Sabbi wrote:
>> why should we release something just to workaround the total idiocy
>> of
>> distribution packagers? The problem is backwards
>
> At least for me (and probably also for distributors) anything which is
> not publically released is *unstable*. I, myself, will *not* download
> the sourcecode from SVN as I need a *stable release* to work with. If
> you really plan to not release a new version in future, then I think I
> should better look for another player... :-(

Hi there,

I'm quite the Mplayer n00b - if you search the archives (which you
didn't before posting your original question) you will see I've only
posted on a handful of occasions; I read this list for 10 minutes with
my morning cuppa and don't pretend in any way to be an expert.

Yet I appreciate your above statement to be a misunderstanding of the
situation. Packagers are surely capable of understanding that MPlayer
has no policy of "stable" releases and that they're expected to base
their releases on SVN.

End users should use a distro with a decent MPlayer packaging policy.
If their distro doesn't have a decent MPlayer packaging policy then
they should use SVN and bitch at their distro to support MPlayer
better. The MPlayer developers don't have the resources to produce
"releases" - since so many distros seem to depend upon MPlayer, this
is a way in which so many of them could contribute to the project.

Stroller.