[MPlayer-users] When will there be a new release?

bart.vandeenen at gmail.com bart.vandeenen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 15:24:35 CEST 2008

On Sunday 12 October 2008 15:05:52 Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 01:02:46 +0200
>
> RVM <rvm3000 at ya.com> wrote:
> > I know, I read, the problem is that currently there's no one that could
> > make a new release, but... a suggestion: what about to make a quick
> > source-only release? Just take the current code from svn, change the
> > version to 1.0rc3, generate the html docs, and upload the package to the
> > web. Let the distros' maintainers to do the binary packages.
>
> What you think is a quick, 5 min job, is actualy 2-3 days of work,
> if you get all relevant people together in time. Not including
> the time needed to fix known issues, updating all translations
> and stopping the addition of experimental features.
>
> Roberto, who normaly managed the whole release process, is currently
> too busy to do it, and nobody else felt the urge to invest
> a lot of time into it.
>
> If you feel like you need a new release, why don't you try
> to cooridinate everything and get a release ready?
>
> 				Attila Kinali
Hi

How about the Windows version? I've been building a few windows binaries
myself recently and I must say the process is quite fragile. I haven't been
able to compile one that works on most of the Windows machines at my work
(yes, I do have --enable-runtime-cpudetection on). The process documentation
is obsolete, and the one place (http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php) that
seems to describe the current build process had a lot of troubles with
different versions of required tools (gcc), libraries and such. That site, much
appreciated as it is, is obviously more of a personal log, than information
for non-expert third parties. It is not clear what versions of mingw, msys,
gcc, mplayer source, patch files and required libraries (many binary) are
needed to build a release quality mplayer binary.

Bart