[MPlayer-users] Feature Request / A humble wish: Optimize libfaad2 / AAC+ decoder for MMX/i586

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Oct 9 19:39:06 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 07:58:26PM +0300, Urja Rannikko wrote:
> Even if AAC+ is a more advanced coding than MP3, it seems clear to me
> that this could be optimized,

Yes, but faad is so full of horribly inefficient code (I think rockbox
included a patch by my that improves some things) that trying to make it
really good is basically a lost cause, or at least not just a matter of
adding some MMX.
Use -ac ffaac for any files it supports, and if someone has time over
please use it to improve that one, faad IMO is not worth it (though I
admit I do not know if recent version are maybe at least a bit better).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger