[MPlayer-users] Feature suggestion: re-index while playing

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Oct 9 17:50:58 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 11:14:54PM +1100, Tony Lainson wrote:
> Are feature requests/suggestions welcome here?

Well, in principle yes (though unless they are something simple just
nobody thought about it is unlikely to help anything)...

> Anyway, I think it would be nice to have a "reindex" slave command
> that, when issued, rebuilds the index of the AVI file being played.

But you make a error quite a few people make: You suggest some
implementation without saying what your goal is.
This might end up bad in several ways:
1) someone implements something similar to what you suggested, but since
he did not know what you wanted, in a way that breaks exactly the case
you care about
2) the functionality you actually want might already be available, just not in the
way you expect
3) someone might know a way to implement the functionality in a way that
is much simpler and would be implemented right away instead of waiting
for someone to implement the much more complicated thing

I mostly complain though because I think you probably want this for
seeking to work in files that are still being downloaded, and for that
your suggestion is a very ugly and unintuitive hack and in many cases
-demuxer lavf can handle that fine (in theory, I have not really
tested it for many cases).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger