[MPlayer-users] mplayer threads on different cores?

Dan Taylor dtaylor at startrac.com
Thu Oct 9 05:21:15 CEST 2008

I have a problem running out of CPU power with mplayer.

We are pulling MPEG Transport Streams from a V4l frontend, decoding
them, and applying the video scale, crop, and expand filters to fit (and
normalize) the output to the "TV Screen" portion of our display.

All of these operations are running on one core of a Cure Duo, and
dropping frames/complaining about "too slow"/..., while the other core
is 90+% idle.

It takes about 8% of one core to fetch a sample TS from the frontend,
about 40% to do the MPEG decode, and 60+% (not sure how much more) to do
the scale/crop/expand filtering.  If I could move the video filtering to
the unused core, I might be able to handle the streams, or, at least,
determine that I don't have enough aggregate CPU power.

I have looked through the manual, and only a few things explicitly
support threads.  I tried the lavdopts threads, but that gave me a
garbage screen with what looked like multiple processes writing to the
display simultaneously.

Does mplayer currently support separating the MPEG decoding and video
filtering to different CPUs/cores?  If so, what options, either on the
command line or in "config" do I need to activate them?

Thanks.

DAN TAYLOR

dtaylor at startrac.com

www.startrac.com