[MPlayer-users] BLUE_RAY & HD_DVD Acceptability

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Sat Oct 4 02:52:59 CEST 2008

John Krongaler wrote:
> Dear User group: Will mplayer ever fully support Blue-Ray and HD-DVD high definition disc formats? :)

As far as I know, there is yet no easy way to crack the copy protection
on these disks.

There are programs that snatch the encryption keys from memory on a
system that can already play them, and I believe another method has been
created to snatch the key off the wire from some devices, but none that
can just crack the key by itself.

I suppose the best we can hope to come up with for this is a distributed
database of keys, but someone will have to write a library of some kind
that can retrieve these as needed and decrypt the discs.  Such library,
like DeCss, will likely not be put in Mplayer itself to prevent legal
distribution entanglements.  But once it exists, I see no reason Mplayer
wouldn't support the new formats.