[MPlayer-users] libavformat muxing broken. So now what?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Nov 30 16:45:50 CET 2008

sean darcy wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:

>>> mp4box?
>>>
>>> mp4creator?
>>>
>>> ffmpeg?
>>>
>>> There are plenty of apps which you can use to mux after
>>> encoding...
>>
>> Not to mention that the message is only relevant if you are
>> encoding with B frames; the command line provided does not say to
>> use B frames in the output video, so unless x264 uses them by
>> default (which I don't believe it does), they won't be used and the
>> problem won't arise.
>
> I shortened the command line:

That's a bad idea. The full, unmodified command line (and text output
from it) should be posted along with every problem report, because they
may contain important information.

>> (I also thought this problem was fixed some time ago, but I see the
>> message is still there in latest SVN, so maybe not...)
>
> And, as I asked in the other post, if libavformat from ffmpeg doesn't
> work in mplayer, how does it work in ffmpeg?

As I understand it, that's because what's broken is in the MPlayer code
which makes use of libavformat, rather than the code in libavformat
itself. Exactly how it's broken, and why it would be hard to fix, is
something I've never entirely grasped.

> FWIW, both mplayer and ffmpeg are Nov 29 svn.

Dates aren't especially informative - exact revision numbers would be
more appropriate. It's more or less moot at this point, though.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.