[MPlayer-users] is it possible to play and to dump stream simultaneously ?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Nov 30 15:14:39 CET 2008

Oliver Seitz wrote:

>> On Sunday 30 November 2008 06:17:49 am Evgeni Kornikhin wrote:
>>
>>> I can play or dump stream separately. But is it possible to do
>>> that simultaneously ?
>>
>> Well, what I do is dump the stream with the mplayer line..and then
>> I open another console window and I then play the stream.dump file
>> (as it is being written).  Thus, I don't have to open another
>> network connection to play the material.
>
> That's what I said. It could be improved if "-dumpfile - " would dump
> to stdout, which it seems not do do now. You could then dump to
> stdout, tee into a file and pipe to another mplayer for simultaneous
> playback.

"output to stdout" has been a wanted feature for a very long time now.
It has never been implemented largely because, for an even longer time,
some of the text printed during playback has been sent via stdout
(rather than stderr) - and it would thus wind up going into the middle
of the output file and corrupting the data.

There have been efforts, over time, to clean up the code so that text is
not printed via stdout in that way. It's possible that the goal may even
have been accomplished by now. If so, however, it hasn't gotten much
attention, and the necessary follow-up work to let MPlayer/MEncoder
output to stdout has in any case not been done.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.