[MPlayer-users] Performance (too slow to play this)

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Nov 29 23:15:39 CET 2008

Hello,

others mostly answered this, but:

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 06:58:23PM +0200, Roman Odaisky wrote:
> 1. I have a 3 GHz Pentium 4, 1 GB of RAM and an Nvidia 6600GT. Does this
> provide sufficient processing power? What hardware would you suggest for
> watching HD movies comfortably?

Well, the Pentium 4 is a joke, unless you want it to heat a room. They
had a long time trouble competing even with the previous Pentium III,
not to mention the AMD CPUs.
Though you might have some better chances when compiling MPlayer with Intel's
compiler instead of gcc.

> 2. mplayer 1.0~rc2. Has it improved significantly in SVN?

Yes, definitely.
And if your P4 supports it, use a 64 bit OS and 64 bit MPlayer, should
be another 10 - 20 % faster.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger