[MPlayer-users] Synchronizing multiple instance of Mplayer over the network

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at medozas.de
Thu Nov 27 21:35:02 CET 2008

On Thursday 2008-11-27 21:19, Oliver Seitz wrote:

>> Is there such a feature?
>
>I think not. Or maybe not yet. Reading time and again thru the manpage
>with that very issue in mind, I thougt it might be worth trying to tell
>mplayer to use the clock for timing, keeping the clocks of the computers
>in sync via ntpd. That's a bit of a strange procedure and leaves the
>problem to start the players at exactly the same time, but it might be an
>approach. Have never tried it, though.

Ingredients:
* mplayer -input file=<fifo>
* support for obtaining the time of the currently playing file
  (I think this may be missing in mplayer, but easy to add)
* a local program that couples the FIFO with the network
* a remote program (possibly a central server) that resyncs
  the video streams of all mplayer instances connected through
  the daemons using commands mplayer accepts over the FIFO.

Especially useful for resyncing are "speed_incr 0.01" /
"speed_incr -0.01".