[MPlayer-users] Who converts movie frame rate to video frame rate?

Bryan Henderson giraffedata at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 05:21:32 CET 2008

In stepping through a DVD movie frame by frame, I noticed there were
24 frames in a second.  I always thought part of "DVD authoring" was
converting that to television frame rate (30).  Is that not so?
Messages mention both a frame rate of 29.97 fps and "24000/1001fps
progressive NTSC content."  What does that mean?

Does Mplayer convert the frame rate at all?  Does it take into account
in any way the actual refresh rate of the monitor?  I'm using ffmpeg
and xvidix.