[MPlayer-users] lagging video using -vf scale on OS X

Peter McGuire petermcgu at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 08:17:35 CET 2008

Hello,

I'm using MPlayer for a particular purpose that requires that the
displayed videos match the following criteria:

- Running on MAC OS X (10.3 and up)
- Fullscreen
- Scaled to ~75% of the system display size
- Remaining space is filled in with black
- Video is centered

To accomplish this, I'm using the following command (example system
has a display size of 1280x854):

mplayer -vf scale=960:-2,expand=1280:854 -sws 0 -framedrop -fs video.avi

This does what I want and is fine on a faster machine with decent
graphics support, but the scale causes video lag on slower machines.

Is there another approach to this problem that would allow slower
machines to accomplish this task?

Thanks.