[MPlayer-users] MPlayer limitation: 'seek' in large wav files?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Nov 16 11:21:42 CET 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 12:49:47PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> On Sunday 16 November 2008 12:16, andrew wrote:
> [...]
> > I am aware of some of the problems of very large wav files but
> > is there a way to get MPlayer to successfully seek with wav
> > files between 2 - 4 gigs?
>
> Yes, it is. Compile with --enable-largefiles. And you can watch up
> to 2 terabytes, if your filesystem allows 8-).

--enable-largefiles is on by default, but does not work on MinGW without
modifying the system headers.
Also to the best of my knowledge it is impossible to create _valid_ wav
files that are larger than 4 GB since the data chunk size is stored as
32 bit, and only one is allowed.
Now, for sizes in-between 2 and 4 GB please test if SVN r27938 fixes it.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger