[MPlayer-users] Where can I find these libraries?

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 06:05:02 CET 2008

On 12 Nov 2008, at 03:16, bravo 007 wrote:

> Hello, i'm newbie in linux and mplayer. I try to install mplayer ( i
> use mplayer-1.0rc2-i686-3szl),

Where did you obtain this package from?

The supported method to install mplayer is via Subversion. See http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

> and i ran "ldd mplayer" and it was said I don't have libcaca.so.0
> and libcucul.so.0. I searched in google still didin't find these
> libraries. I am using Backtrack 3 (based on slackware 12.0). For
> libaca, I have downloaded from http://caca.zoy.org/files/libcaca/libcaca-0.9.tar.gz
> . But didn't find libcaca.so.0.

What does your package manager says about libcaca & libcucul?

Do you actually have a problem with mplayer playback?

AFAICT these libraries are only used for playback as ASCII art.

EG:
   http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Caca-doom2.png
   http://caca.zoy.org/browser/web/trunk/static/img/stitch-80x45.png

The author of libcaca states "I am perfectly aware that libcaca is the
waste of time it looks to be." I think there is a hidden message here.

Stroller.