[MPlayer-users] Help: Can't play mp3 stream via http

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Nov 2 12:42:25 CET 2008

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 11:16:41AM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Sunday, 02 November 2008 at 10:36, Andrea wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've tried to play the following mp3 stream
> >
> > http://france-info1.creacast.com/france-info.mp3
> > This is not a file but a live stream of a radio.
> >
> > using mplayer, but it does not work. It returns immediately with "End Of File". (at the end the output).
> > I did not find anything on google or mplayer documentation about it.
> >
> > I can download part of it with wget
>
> Confirmed, albeit with an older snapshot. As a workaround, you can try this:
> wget -q -O - http://france-info1.creacast.com/france-info.mp3 | mplayer -cache 2048 -

Does it work with e.g. WinAmp?
They use some custom shoutcast clone that unfortunately is horribly
broken, e.g. it expect the whole HTTP header to be in a single TCP
packet (i.e. impossible to test with telnet).
It also treats "Icy-MetaData: 0" as "Icy-MetaData: 1"
You can either modify stream/network.c to remove the line with
Icy-MetaData or hack the binary via e.g.
sed -e 's/Icy-MetaData: 1/Xcy-MetaData: 0/' < mplayer > mplayermod
Then it plays, but no metadata then.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger