[MPlayer-users] AAC MP4 on PPC64 system - no audio? Unknown/missing audio format - Cannot find codec for audio format 0xFF.

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sat May 24 05:36:36 CEST 2008

Hi there,

I'm having some audio problems with a .mp4 video which (short story)
was created using the "export" option in Quicktime running on a Mac.

The audio is AAC - in fact, Quicktime says "AAC-LC", and there are no
other options for audio when I export this movie - and I have tried
creating the file at 192kbps (unknown sampling rate) and then 128kbps
at 44.1kHz and 48kHz. Quicktime's "Export Settings" dialogue box has
a summary at the bottom when you're choosing the settings with which
to save the file; it has a "Conformance" line which claims "the file
conforms to MP4 format specification".

As you'll see from the attached configure.txt the AAC libraries
installed on my system seem to be recognised when I build mplayer.
The mplayer binary is built from source, from SVN dated a couple of
months ago. This system plays the audio fine on all other videos I've
tried, and I have been using it quite happily the last couple of months.

The output when I try to play this file is attached as linux_ps3.txt.
Executive summary:
   Opening audio decoder: [faad] AAC (MPEG2/4 Advanced Audio Coding)
   FAAD: compressed input bitrate missing, assuming 128kbit/s!
   Unknown/missing audio format -> no sound
   ADecoder init failed :(
   Cannot find codec for audio format 0xFF.
   Audio: no sound

I mostly use Macs on the desktop (this video plays fine in Quicktime,
of course) and Linux headless for servers, so I don't have any other
Linux machines I can try this file on properly. However I did try
running it with the "-vo null" option on one of my servers - on that
system mplayer is built from the Gentoo ebuild "1.0_rc2_p25993", and
after recompiling with a couple of USE flags set ("aac" and "a52", I
think) that seems to find the audio OK. The output from playing the
video on that system is attached as linux_p4.txt - I have included
the md5sum of the file to double-check that I wasn't daft enough to
be playing different versions on the two machines!

Therefore I assume this problem not to be a bug with mplayer, but
something local to my PS3 Linux system.

Can anyone suggest what I might have done wrong, please? Or how to
troubleshoot further?

I have media-libs/faac installed on both machines - version 1.26-r1
from Gentoo's portage - and likewise media-libs/faad2, 2.0-r13.

When Googling this error I encountered an Ubuntu forums post that
mentioned codecs.conf. It appears this is not copied to /etc during
`make install`  but that I have a copy in the sources I downloaded
from SVN. It does not make any difference if I copy this to "/etc/
codecs.conf" (or "/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf" but I think that's an
Ubuntu-specific path) or to "~/.mplayer/codecs.conf". The other
machine does not have a codecs.conf, either (except in /usr/share/doc/
mplayer/DOCS/tech/).

Many thanks in advance for any pointers,

Stroller.