[MPlayer-users] Encoding dv 25fps avi to h264 - frame issues

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Sat May 17 05:11:21 CEST 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 09:42 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> This is more a question to allay my fears; I'm encoding some footage I
> have of my kids (so obviously I want the highest quality I can in
> relation to the source). When I set mencoder to go, it either comes up
> with skipping frames every 24 frames (I'd guess), or says duplicate
> frames, or I get "Too many frames in the video buffer (59 of 8964000)".
>
> I'm concerned that this might be affecting the end result- is this true,
> or am I being paranoid?
>
> I've setup with -ni, tried filmdeint and pullup,softskip, and set the
> fps and ofps to 25.00, with no change. The output I get is mainly
> dependent on whether I set fps to 24000/1001 (which it obviously isn't,
> but it took me a while to catch on). If I set fps to 25000/1001 it says
> using 24.98 but the error is still the same anyway.
>
> SO- am I paranoid?

This has become very strange- although I am starting to get lost in
amongst all my different tests and options- this particular error has
disappeared. I'm not sure what I changed exactly, but it may have been
the harddup at the end of the -vf options.

Another problem though has become more apparent- AC EOB marker is
absent. I do have an idea as to why though, when I stop encoding it
declares 0.480s more audio than video.

Therefore my question now becomes: how do I fix this? Can I remove
the .48s of audio at the beginning? I tried -audio-delay in both
positive and negative 0.480 with no result.