[MPlayer-users] Feature request : Segment Link with Matroska

Eddie H agent86was at gmail.com
Thu May 15 08:34:00 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 8:04 AM, xavier souron <xavier.souron at gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all thank you for mplayer, in my opinion it is the best player ;)
>
> I think it would be great to have the support of segment link for matroska,
> a guy on IRC (Arneb) made this :
> http://www.ps-auxw.de/ordered/
>
> "<ArneB> http://www.ps-auxw.de/ordered/ - FWIW, I made two ordered chapter
> samples. One with single file, one with three linked files.
> <ArneB> First edition should play "Part A", then "Part B" twice. Second
> should play "Part A version 2", then "Part B" twice"
>
> Also you can find here an example of the chapters.xml :
> http://reivax2.free.fr/mkv-test/chapters.xml
>
> What for ? To gain disk space, example :
> An episode of One Piece in HD 720 = 500 mo for an episode of 23 min
> The opening = 3 min
> This opening is the same since the 284 and now the last episod was the 309
>
> => (500/23) x 3 = 65
> => 65 x ( 309-284) = 1625 mo
> I let you imagine for HD 1080 ;)
>

> It also be useful for videos with part1 and part2.
>
> Thanks in advance

Is this feature under consideration for MPlayer? It is also known as
Ordered Chapters, and is part of the .mkv specification. AFAIK, even
in Windows, only Haali's supports Ordered Chapters, and no player in
Linux supports it.

This feature is being increasingly used, since many shows have static
opening and closing credit sequences. Once those sequences have been
downloaded, the viewer only needs to download the main body of the
show (plus any specific intro and ending sequences that play
before/after the credits), thus saving bandwidth and storage space.

Playlists could be used, but any intro/ending sequences will be played
out of order. The other alternative is to split and remux the .mkv,
which is beyond the abilities of many casual users.

I hope it wasn't bad form to resurrect this old feature request
instead of starting a new one.

--

agent