[MPlayer-users] dvd iso audio not decoding properly

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri May 2 04:59:11 CEST 2008

Robert Henney wrote:
> yeah replying to myself
>
> On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 07:34:10PM -0400, Robert Henney wrote:
>> the machine which needs the "format=s16le" is some cheap
>> onboard chip and the one that works without it is a sblive.
>
> after reading the man page section for "-af format=" and how
> it should get enabled automatically when needed by the sound
> hardware, my wild guess would be that the onboard chip needs s16le
> and that its driver isn't communicating that fact to mplayer.

That would be my best guess. MPlayer's OSS output driver tries to set
the output format to s16be and then checks to see if that failed. If
not, MPlayer thinks everything is ok.

I don't know for sure, but I would suggest reporting it as a bug to the
provider of your sound driver. As far as I can tell MPlayer is doing the
right thing.

You can try "-ao alsa" if your system has ALSA support; that might be
better.

> the sblive on the other hand may accept s16be fine or its driver is
> properly telling mplayer what it needs so that the filter gets added
> automatically (a verbose output from mplayer would probably tell
> me the answer to that).

Yes:

Building audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/s16be -> 48000Hz/2ch/s16le...

My sblive accepts s16be with ALSA's OSS emulation but not with ALSA
itself (I don't know why); MPlayer falls back to s16le.

-Corey